Free Church O stave off a late title challenge from Eathorpe E

Milly Green's single could not prevent Free Church R suffering a 3-2 defeat against Eathorpe G.
Milly Green's single could not prevent Free Church R suffering a 3-2 defeat against Eathorpe G.

There was an exciting climax to the autumn Division B campaign in the Leamington 2-a-side League, with Eathorpe E’s Jamie Sayer and Norbu Sunang-Joret making a late push for the title by whitewashing Norton Lindsey B.

This set up a tantalising finale as Eathorpe faced Free Church O for top spot.

A 5-0 win for the villagers would have tied the teams on points but Ged Kuprys and reserve Dan Shaw saw Free Church to a 4-1 win, Shaw losing to Sunang-Joret.

Free Church O’s regular trio of Ashley and Keith Knott and Kuprys pocketed the title by an eight-point margin from Eathorpe E, with Ashley Knott picking up the divisional averages thanks to an 83 per cent return.

In Division C, Rugby G ended the campaign with mixed fortunes, Grace Newman winning her two against Ashorne B to add to Karen Buckby’s single and a 3-2 win. Steve Handsley (1) paired with Tony Philpott for the doubles.

However, they then went down 5-0 to their H side of Dan Burgess and Jack Davidson who sealed the title as a result.

Bradley Smith was the third squad member and Burgess was top player with 93 per cent.

Ashorne B went on to defeat Free Church Q 3-2, with Handsley claiming two plus the doubles with Philpott.

However, it was Eathorpe G who landed the runners-up spot after edging out Free Church R 3-2. Luca Bloodworth and James Stone picked up singles for the villagers and Dominic Priest and Milly Green replied for Church, with Eathorpe clinching the doubles.

In Division D, FISSC B unexpectedly lost 3-2 to Eathorpe H. Martin Hamer and Mandip Takhar picked up a single each but both failed to master Marcel Bloodworth who joined John Gymer to snatch the doubles.

Norton Lindsey C edged out Free Church T 3-2 to keep alive their title hopes, with Andy Mountney and Edward Rogers taking singles and the doubles.

FISSC and Norton Lindsey meet in their final match but only a 5-0 win for either team will deny Free Church S, who lost their last match 3-2 to stablemates Free Church U, top spot.

In Division E, Free Church W played two matches in the last week, winning 3-2 against Free Church Y, with Jake Simmons victorious twice and Brody and Jake Simmons taking the doubles.

Erin Darwen and Thomas Yarrow responded with singles.

They then defeated Free Church X 4-1, Simmons again winning twice and the Speller twins adding the doubles.

Free Church W’s earlier 5-0 defeat at the hands of Rugby I ended their chances of finishing second.

Rugby I will take the title by a massive margin of 21 points after a season in which Angel and William Chen were rarely challenged.

Free Church V claimed the runners-up spot in their final match against their Y side.

Eduardo Bolanos won twice and guided debutant Jack Knowles to a doubles success.

Yarrow and Darwen again got on the score sheet for Y.

n Next month, the league will expand to incorporate an F division.