Worcester City 2 Brakes 0: Slow-starting Brakes bow out with a whimper

Leamington look to clear their lines at Aggborough on Tuesday evening. Picture: Sally Ellis
Leamington look to clear their lines at Aggborough on Tuesday evening. Picture: Sally Ellis

Brakes slipped out of the FA Cup on a disappointing evening at Aggborough as Worcester City scored early in each half to go through, writes Paul Edwards.

Backed by a raucous travelling support, Paul Holleran’s men were undone as early as the fourth minute, the hosts scoring with almost their first effort on goal, skipper Ellis Deeney sweeping the ball home after his initial shot had rebounded back into his path.

This time, however, Leamington reacted far better to going behind than they had done in the first half on Saturday.

Danny Newton’s run across the edge of the penalty area led to a shot that was deflected behind, while Matt Dodd and Tyler Weir required treatment after both players clattered into the advertising hoardings when challenging for the ball on the right.

Stefan Moore was well marshalled all evening by the Worcester defence, finding it difficult to make space for himself, but he was able to set up Richard Batchelor for a shot that sailed high and wide of Nathan Vaughan’s goal. Dodd saw a similar effort go the same way after just beating Weir to a long clearance from Neil Collett.

Leamington were not helping themselves at times, giving away several corners during the evening from unforced errors and were fortunate not go further behind when Nick Wright somehow placed his shot right across the goalmouth from a great position at the far post as the ball was headed back in to him.

A neat passage of possession play from Leamington deep in the Worcester half saw Moore set up Newton for a low drive that was pushed around the post by Vaughan, and Jack Edwards had a decent opportunity from a good ball in by Stephan Morley, but could only direct his header straight at the former Brakes custodian.

Worcester increased their advantage two minutes into the second half to effectively kill off the tie when Danny Jackman glanced home a good cross from George Williams.

Brakes tried to respond, Edwards firing straight at Vaughan, who later spilled Morley’s skidding drive behind for a corner.

Vaughan was at his best, however, when he turned a powerful effort from Newton over the bar, Moore just failing to connect with the resulting corner at the far post.

Joe Magunda and Worcester substitute David McDermott went into the referee Timothy Wood’s notebook after an ugly confrontation on the touchline that sparked a brief melee between both sides, but the game was petering out despite five minutes added time.

Leamington did have the ball in the net during this period but the goal was quickly ruled out for a foul on Vaughan and Worcester eased through the remaining moments.

McDermott’s mazy run and curling shot was saved by Collett to bring the action to a close.

Worcester City: Nathan Vaughan, George Williams, Tyler Weir, Wayne Thomas, Jacob Rowe, Danny Jackman (Graham Hutchinson, 90), Daniel Nti, Connor Gator, Nick Wright (Jordan Murphy, 54), Sean Geddes (David McDermott, 80), Ellis Deeney. Subs not used: Shabir Khan, Connor Gudger, Michael Taylor, Jose Veiga.

BRAKES: Neil Collett, James Fry, Stephan Morley, Joe Magunda, Jamie Tank, James Mace, Matt Dodd (Aron Wint, 72), Jack Edwards, Stefan Moore, Danny Newton, Richard Batchelor (Lee Chilton, 72).Subs not used: Stuart Pierpoint, Lee Moore, David McNamee, Jordan Goddard, Liam Maher.