Bourne make the most of their rivals’ inactivity to go top

Wicketkeeper Dave Barnett looks on as Earlswood batsman Arron Snipe is about to be caught by John Edden off the bowling ofJamie Maynard. Picture submitted
Wicketkeeper Dave Barnett looks on as Earlswood batsman Arron Snipe is about to be caught by John Edden off the bowling ofJamie Maynard. Picture submitted

Wellesbourne gained a dramatic 16-run victory over Earlswood at Loxley Close in a rain-reduced 25-over game which owed immense credit to groundsmen John Barnett and John Turner.

Along with their assistants, the duo got the game on on a day when no one else in the league even started and in turn helped Bourne move joint top of the Cotswold Hills League Premier Division.

Earlswood skipper Will Windeatt had no hesitation in asking the hosts to bat first after winning the toss and although the first over went for ten runs, Arron Snipe also picked up the wicket of Nick Gabbett, caught behind by George Calkeld.

Snipe then claimed two more wickets in his third over, with Dave Barnett caught by Callum Hassett and opener Gary Maynard pouched low down at mid-on by Leon Everett for 16 with the score on 25.

Five runs later, Wellesbourne lost their fourth 
wicket when Harry Jackman was caught by Snipe off 
Joe Bussey and the innings looked in disarray.

However, Jamie Maynard and John Edden knuckled down and calmly restored the situation with some sensible batting.

With the overs ticking by, both players began to hit out and their partnership had reached 48 when Maynard was bowled by Hassett for 26.

Tom Shearsby was next to go, caught by Calkeld off Hassett with 90 on the board, but Edden, with help from Travis Butcher, continued his excellent innings and had reached 46 when he was run out off the penultimate ball of the 25th over.

Hassett then bowled Chris Evans and Bourne closed on 128 for eight with Snipe (3-19) and Hassett (3-48) the pick of the bowlers.

Faced with defending a target of just over five an over, Bourne responded well and tight opening overs from Evans and Gary Maynard put the pressure on.

Maynard broke through with the important wickets of Everett, caught behind by Barnett, and Marvin Rice caught by Edden and the visitors were 16 for two in the seventh over.

B Jackson and Joe McGovern then took the score to 47 before Bourne skipper Tom Stephenson had McGovern caught by Butcher for 18 and then followed up with the wicket of Jackson, stumped by Barnett.

This brought Dave Smith in to partner the dangerous Windeatt and they took the score to 75 before the introduction of Jamie Maynard who had Smith superbly caught in the deep by Shearsby.

Windeatt was looking in good form and struck some big sixes but Earls were still behind the run rate.

Snipe went to a good catch by Edden off Jamie Maynard as Bourne kept up the pressure in the field and Earls were left needing 23 off the last over.

Their feint hopes were ended when Jamie Maynard removed Windeatt for 47 to another fine catch by Butcher and next ball another outstanding catch by Gabbett sent Hassett back to the pavilion.

Jamie Maynard (4-15), Gary Maynard (2-21) and Stephenson (2-27) took the bowling honours with Bourne’s fielding exceptional once again.