Toddler grape death prompts mums to set up first aid class

The death of a two-year-old who choked on a grape has moved two mums from Leamington and Kenilworth to set up a paediatric first aid class for other parents.

Monday, 14th November 2016, 9:52 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:01 pm
Anna Leeksma demonstrating first aid skills. NNL-161114-094552001

After hearing about Jacob Jenson’s death, mum-of-four Anna Leeksma, who is also a midwife and runs the Cotton Nappy Company in Leamington, and mum-of-two Claire Perkins from Kenilworth, launched the two-hour class, which covers many first aid emergencies including choking, CPR, bleeding, burns, febrile seizures and meningitis awareness.

Anna said: “Unfortunately, a grape is the perfect shape and size to block the airway and cause choking and many mums worry about choking, especially when they start to wean their babies.

“As a parent of four young children, I have already experienced quite a few little first aid dramas, including burns, bleeding and bumps to the head. Knowing what to do can really make a difference for your child until you seek medical treatment.”

Classes cost £20 and held in the daytime and evening in Leamington, Coventry, Stratford and Rugby. Book at