Man rescued from roof after Warwick house fire

Fire Station EMN-151125-160120001
Fire Station EMN-151125-160120001

A man was rescued from the roof of his Warwick home after a fire started in a microwave and filled the building with smoke.

Fire engines from Leamington, Stratford and Kenilworth were all called to the house in Stratford Road just before 8.30am on Monday where they found the man on the roof outside his bedroom.

Crews said the man, who is not believed to have been hurt in the incident, had fled to the roof to escape the smoke and seek safety.

He was helped down by firefighters in the morning rescue before flames were fully extinguished.

A spokesperson from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Three fire engines were initially mobilised.

“On arrival the house was fully smoke logged and crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire whilst rescuing the male from the roof using ladders.

Stratford Road fire. Picture from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service fbT-FrdONxWBhz9kcLFS

Stratford Road fire. Picture from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service fbT-FrdONxWBhz9kcLFS

“The fire was believed to have started in the microwave located in a rear kitchen of the property.”