Former Hatton man jailed for sexual assault on teenager

Graham Rosier
Graham Rosier

A racing stable worker who sexually assaulted a teenage girl after plying her with drink and taking her back to his home has been jailed for six years.

Graham Rosier, who worked at the South Warwickshire racing yard at the time, had denied a charge of sexual activity with a child.

But he was found guilty by a unanimous verdict following a trial at Warwick Crown Court in December – after a previous jury had been unable to agree on a verdict.

Jailing Rosier, following an adjournment for a pre-sentence report to be prepared on him, Recorder Steven Evans also ordered him to register as a sex offender for life.

Rosier, 53, of Station Road, Hatton, at the time, but who has since moved to Newmarket where he has been working at another racing yard, was also made subject to a sexual harm prevention order restricting his contact with any girl under the age of 16 for an indefinite period.

During the trial prosecutor Glyn Samuel had said: “We say this man, in his 40s at the time, took a 13/14-year-old girl back to his home, and while there got her into a situation where he was kissing her intimately after pulling her trousers down.”

Rosier was working at the Racing Yard at the time of the offence in 2007 or 2008.

Racing yard staff would regularly use a nearby pub for meals or to celebrate successes.

Teenage girls often visited the stables, and after one girl who did so went with them to the pub one lunchtime, she asked Rosier to give her a lift her back to the yard.

Rosier, who had bought her glasses of wine at the pub, despite her age, agreed, but said he had to go back to his home first to walk his dogs.

It was there that the offence took place.

It was not until 2013 when the girl saw Rosier at a pub, and she got up and ran out, that she told her boyfriend about the incident.

Before that she would often wake up in the night upset or screaming and she had told her boyfriend it was because of something that had happened when she was young.

She later went to the police.

Rosier, who denied having bought the girl any drinks, claimed she had been sick after he let her sleep it off at his home, and that after cleaning up he took her back to the stables.

But the jury rejected his assertion that nothing improper had taken place.