Gardeners 'left heartbroken' again after second spate of vandalism at Warwick allotments

There have been several reported incidents of vandalism and theft across allotment sites in the town

Monday, 26th April 2021, 4:06 pm
Updated Tuesday, 27th April 2021, 10:14 am

Gardeners have been left heartbroken again after a second spate of vandalism at allotment sites in Warwick.

Recently there have been several reported incidents of vandalism and theft at the Cape Housing, Railwayside and Canalside Allotments in the town.

In recent months three poly tunnels on the Cape Housing site had been set on fire and last week further incidents were reported to the police and Warwick Town Council.

Canalside Allotments in Warwick. Photo by Liz Healey

One of the latest incident happened on the Cape Housing Site around 9.45am on April 18 where it is believed there was attempt made to set fire to a shed and poly tunnel.

According to information submitted to the town council and Warwickshire Police an intruder was challenged by a plot holder who was on site at the time and subsequently left.

As soon as he had departed smoke was noticed towards the top of the site between a shed and a poly tunnel.

A small fire was found and the plot holder was able to put it out.

In addition to the attempted arson, two water taps were fully turned on and the remains of a previous arson attack on a shed further destroyed.

The suspect has been described as being in his mid to late teens, dressed all in black, wearing a smart jacket and trousers, 5’ 9”, pale complexion, a dark crew cut hairstyle and of slim build.

On the Canalside site a shed was broken into and items were stolen including a new lawn mower. There was a further attempted break in to a second shed. This was also reported to the police.

On the Railwayside site a shed was broken into and a lawnmower was stolen.

A representative from the Cape Housing site said: “I do have concerns about the motives of the individual involved.

"It is difficult to comprehend why anyone would behave in the way they did. There are also concerns about whether these offences may escalate."

A representative from the Canalside site said: If anybody spotted anything out of the ordinary on Upper Cape road on Sunday April 18 between 6am and 7am please phone 101 and report it.

Cllr Noel Butler, chairman of the Allotments Committee at Warwick Town Council, said: "I am appalled at the targeting of these sites which have been a life saver for the plot holders during lockdown.

"I cannot understand the mentality of people who inflict such terrible actions on our, mainly elderly, plot holders.

"All incidents reported to Warwick Town Council are also being forwarded on to the Warwick Central Neighbourhood Team and we will do everything we can to help catch the perpetrators and prevent re-occurrence.

"Local residents and plot holders are being asked to be extra vigilant and if they see anything suspicious to report it in the first instance to the police on 101 and to Warwick Town Council

by emailing: [email protected] or calling: 01926 492212."