Many decades after they died for their country, 18 servicemen will finally be remembered and honoured.
The missing names will be added to Leamington’s War Memorial at Euston Place next Sunday (October 13).
The memorial, which was originally constructed in 1922, bears the names of servicemen from the two World Wars and other more recent conflicts.
However, following a detailed investigation of military records and other relevant data, it has been found that the names of 18 servicemen had been omitted from the memorial.
As many of the names relate to the fallen of the First World War, it is believed that relatives of the deceased may have moved away from Leamington by the time that a public notice was published in the Courier calling for names to be added.
The service will be conducted by Father Christopher Wilson, of the parish of All Saints and Holy Trinity, Leamington, and will be attended by representatives of the British Legion, members of military associations, civic representatives and members of the public.
Everyone is welcome to attend the service, which starts at 2.30pm.
The War Memorial has recently been successful in a bid to the War Memorials Trust for works required as a consequence of adding these new names.
This has resulted in the memorial being hand cleaned, lettering re-painted and new memorial slabs placed at ground level to accommodate the newly recorded personnel.