The 100-year history of Holy Trinity church in Leamington will be remembered as it celebrates its centenery this year.
And anyone who has their own memories, pictures and other memorabilia relating to the church in Beauchamp Avenue is being invited to take part in a commemorative showcase this autumn.
Established as a proprietary chapel - or ‘daughter church’ to Leamington’s parish church, All Saints’ - in 1847, Holy Trinity, designed by the Leamington-based Mitchell, was enlarged in 1865 and 1881. A parish was formed in 1899.
Various alterations to the church began at the turn of the century and were completed just before the First World War - and by 1914, its tower and two houses at the west end of the building were demolished, allowing the nave to be extended and the aisles. porch and east chancel walls to be completed. The building was then transformed into the church that stands in Beauchamp Avenue today.
It is thought that the work was complete in September 1914, so members of the church felt it appropriate to organise a celebration in September 2014 - and on Sunday September 14, they are hoping to be able display an exhibition of photographs and memorabilia at the church over the past 100 years, such as weddings and baptisms and other significant events - including any First World War memorabilia that people may have.
The weekend coincides with the national Heritage Open Days, when buildings of historical or cultural interest are open to the public, as well as the Coventry deanery’s Ride and Stride event, during which people are invited to travel to churches across the deanery. Holy Trinity is also planning to organise a flower festival over that weekend.
The Rev Christopher Wilson, who has been the vicar at Holy Trinity for 11 years, said: “We are very much looking forward to this occasion. It’s an opportunity for us to invite people to remember the church and the part they have played in the church, but also to think back to the time of the First World War and its role during that time.
“It’s a lovely building but it’s quite hidden away. We don’t have a tower or a spire so people don’t know we’re there. So it will be good to be able to invite more people to come and see it.”
Anyone with memories of the church is invited to contact Mr Wilson by email on email@example.com
Meanwhile, people can help raise funds for the church by attending its spring fete on Saturday May 17 from 2pm to 4pm.