Chelsea Pensioners enjoy Lord Leycester’s hopsitality

Waiting for Video...

Two Chelsea Pensioners joined the elderly “brothers” of Warwick’s Lord Leycester Hospital for a carol service.

Choirboys from nearby St Mary’s Church added their voices during the candlelit service held in the 11th century chapel spanning High Street, built five centuries before Lord Leycester decided to add his hospital for the care of his former “brothers-in-arms.” Since then all elderly ex-servicemen have been referred to as “brothers,” including John Maughan (right) who welcomed his two Chelsea pals to the service. Mr Maughan showed them around and was proud tell them that as the hospital was founded in 1571 it pre-dates the Royal Hospital at Chelsea by 150 years.




Back to the top of the page